Mehmet Çayırdağ

Keywords: Kayseri, Yazır Köyü, Sultanate of Rum, Yazır Mosque

Abstract

A Seljuqid mosque dated to the second half of the thirteenth century is located in Yazır Köyü, one of the chief villages of the province of Kayseri. The Yazır mosque has so far been overlooked by specialists and neglected in the literature. Described in the present article, this mosque, displaying reused columns and column capitals and possessing an original mihrab niche, can be added to the corpus of Seljuqid-period mosques. The extant marble inscription tablet reveals that the Yazır mosque was constructed in the years 1269-70 by Fahrâwar, son of Abdürrahman, during the reign (1265-82) of Seljuqid sultan Ghiyath-ad-Din Kay-Khusraw III.