Socia-Economic Structure of Belgrade in 1740s According to Ottoman Empire Sources
Keywords: Belgrade, Smederevo, Ottoman
Belgrade is a city with strategic importance for the Ottoman State. It was a base of operations during military campaigns. It served to be a safe fortress for the Ottoman armies at times when military defensive integrity was disrupted. This strategic city was taken over by Austria with the Treaty of Passarowitz in 1718. In 1739, Treaty of Belgrade was signed after the victory of the Ottoman armies before Austria and Russia with Belgrade falling once more under Ottoman dominance. After that cadastral registers were taken in 1741. This register is the book no 18 in the Old Records Archive (Kuyûd-ı Kadime). Administrative structure, population and settlement status of Belgrade in the 18th century were determined within the framework of information obtained from this cadastral register book kept just after the war and other archive records. The city was organized as a borough under Smederevo District. While Muslim and non-Muslim population lived together in the city centre, villages were populated by non-Muslims. There wasn't any Muslim populated village. Muqata'ah was an important part of Belgrade's revenues making up two thirds of total revenues. Şıra(fermented grape juice) production and cereal production had the biggest part of agricultural yield. Swine husbandry was the most common in stockbreeding.